Mobile moves incredibly fast. Keeping pace with both the technology and consumer expectations presents unique challenges and opportunities. Data on mobile usage is helpful, but is by its very nature looking backwards instead of ahead to the future. This survey, released in July 2013, aspires to answer the qualitative questions that quantitative data simply cannot.
Here are a few key findings from our first study:
• 1 in 4 smartphone owners have a local news app installed.
• The TV Broadcast is still the primary choice for receiving local news content, as voiced by 47% of the survey population.
• On-air promotion is the single most important driver of app awareness and downloads, receiving 41% of responses.
• Apps trump websites for the second choice for local news content.
• Consumers prefer apps for breaking news, and tablets for reading content.
• For a paywall to succeed, a local media company must deliver very unique content.