2019 SMARTIES APAC
Welcome to the 2017 MMA Smarties Awards, the world’s only global mobile marketing awards program honoring innovation, creativity, and success. In order for your entry to be as simple and successful as possible, we have refined our 2017 categories to be: Marketing Objective, Media, and Technology. Additionally, this year the MMA, in partnership with WARC will be launching the first-ever Business Impact Index. The Smarties Index will identify, rank and award the marketing industry's agencies, marketers and brands that are delivering the highest level of business impact by analyzing finalist and winner data from all the Smarties programs around the world. The Index provides an insightful glimpse into who is actually delivering campaigns that create significant impact across the globe.
Based on this, we have adjusted our judging criteria as follows:
Business Impact: 40%
While achieving the above touchstones are instrumental to success, it is critical to remember that across all entries in all categories, the work must have mobile at its core. To be certain of this, it may help to ask yourself “If we were to remove mobile from this idea/execution, would it still work?”
One more tip: in order to increase your chances of winning, consider entering your work in multiple categories and across regions.
We are thrilled for this year's program and are looking forward to seeing how you have pushed the practice forward!
|Brand growth, development and enrichment. These components are critical to a successful brand awareness campaign as well as establishing brand recognition and familiarity with your customers. Please showcase how your campaign has achieved any or all of these components.|
Lead Generation/Direct Response/Conversions
|A great lead generation campaign will expertly use mobile to directly impact sales, conversions, trial or purchase intent. It can also be quite powerful prior to any transaction(s) if the mobile campaign attracts a good amount of prospective customers that are primed for future engagement and sales. Please showcase how your campaign has achieved either (or both).|
|Your campaign launched or re-launched a product or service with mobile at the heart, delivering measurable success. Please be specific as to what made this launch effective, along with the role mobile played in the process.|
|A promotion can range from contests and coupons to special offers, sweepstakes and POS/Merchandising. Demos, coupons, exhibitions/trade shows, games, special offers (and more) are also fair game for this category. Please be very specific in demonstrating how your campaign specifically changed buyer behavior.|
|Keeping the customers you have is already tough. Increasing their loyalty is another thing altogether. But that’s what CRM is all about - building and managing customer relationships. This category is for the best examples of how mobile can be the cornerstone to those relationships.|
|Driving social change - from the palm of your hand. Or your tablet. Or some other mobile device. The point is, campaigns for not-for-profits or government agencies are now more powerful than ever because mobile makes them accessible to everyone. This category is for best in class campaigns that create significant social change or deliver against a public service.|
|This category utilizes mobile as a core strategy, along with one or more separate channels to round out the campaign. This could include: TV, print, radio, outdoor, PR, direct marketing, etc.|
Cross Mobile Integration
|This category is for campaigns integrating a minimum of 3 mobile applications or mediums (i.e. apps, mobile web, messaging, video, display, search, etc.). We are looking for campaigns that hit the above marks, and are strategically customized for each experience.|
|This category focuses on the use of SMS/MMS to brilliantly bring a marketing campaign to life. Examples could include (but are not limited to): activation of marketing programs, customer acquisition, engagement and conversion.|
Mobile App Advertising
|Any application that provides information, entertainment, productivity or utility for the customer. Mobile App can be part of a broader marketing strategy or a stand-alone brand experience. Both short-term apps for a specific moment in time as well as longer term apps are eligible for this category.|
|A campaign that demonstrates how the use of a programmatic / RTB platform improved the targeting and increased the efficiency and effectiveness in buying, selling and creating a mobile advertising solution.|
|Social can include networks (think Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.), person-to-person (i.e. Skype, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp etc.). Of course, all work must be focused on the mobile platform.|
|For this category, innovation in mobile marketing can come from two different places: Groundbreaking/new technologies or an unconventional/creative use of existing technology.|
Due to its exploratory nature, this category will have less weight on results than the others - that doesn’t mean though that you shouldn’t include the impact to your current business or potential shifts it will create for your future marketing efforts.
Location Based Services or Targeting
|Connecting to customers with the most relevant message when and where they are most likely to act with location based targeting is a marketer’s dream. Easier said than done? This category can include one-off executions or longer term campaigns but must include specifics on impact against your marketing goals.|
|Mobile is quickly ascending as the dominant screen for video consumption. It’s nuanced and intimate and is proven to yield impressive results as the most effective storytelling platform, despite the small screen. The formula for success is far more complicated than a 30 second spot but also offers greater opportunities. Show us your best in class, most impactful mobile video campaigns!|
|Any campaign that demonstrates how the experience of audio techniques, be it music, voice or other sound (audio advertising), was used in a mobile environment to create consumer demand and engagement.|
Internet of Things - Products in Market & Incubation/Innovation Stage
|This category, we are looking for products that are out in the market right now, OR, exist as a prototype or are in an incubator stage. To increase your chances to win a Smarties, please submit the actual product, OR, prototype or illustrate very clearly its design and functionality. *Due to its nascent stage, this category will have less weight on results than the others. However, that doesn’t mean you should exclude the impact to your current business or potential shifts it will create for your future marketing efforts.|
|This category flaunts the most immersive and/or interactive brand experiences using this technology. Due to its nascent stage, this category will have less weight on results than the others. However, that doesn’t mean you should exclude the impact to your current business or potential shifts it will create for your future marketing efforts.|
Best Brand Experience in Mobile Rich Media
|A mobile creative that embodies a brand’s philosophy and identity and creates an immersive and interactive experience keeping the brand at the core. It makes a user engage with a brand on the whole and creates top level recall and recognition in the user’s mind.|
Most Engaging Mobile Creative
|Awarded to a mobile creative on its post click performance. Measures the engagement levels of the user after the first point of interaction and how engaged a person remained as the ad progressed. It takes into consideration how long the user remained on the ad and whether they shared the experience forward on social media.|
Best in Show
|The Best in Show award will be selected by our esteemed panel of regional/countryjudges from the winners of each of the award categories. Key: The winner is based on an ouctcome oftabulation of points for the wins across the categories. (non paid entry)|
Marketer of the Year
|This award represents the Marketer that has incorporated mobile marketing as an indispensable part of their marketing strategy worldwide and is using mobile to drive the innovation of marketing. Key: The winner is based on tabulation of points for the wins across the categories. (non paid entry)|
Publisher / Media Company of the Year
|This award represents the Publisher or Media Company that has exhibited unprecedented leadership within the mobile marketing industry to help drive growth and best practices. (non paid entry)|
Enabling Technology Company of the Year
|This award represents the Mobile Enabling Technology Company whose innovative technology has changed the landscape of the mobile marketing industry and disrupted the industry. (non paid entry)|
Agency of the Year in Mobile
|This award represents the Agency that has incorporated mobile marketing as an indispensable part of the marketing mix for their clients and has exhibited leadership within the mobile marketing industry and will be will be selected by our esteemed panel of judges / board members of MMA Asia from the winners of each of the award categories. Key: Winner is based on tabulation of points for the wins across the categories.|
Agency Network of the year
|This award represents the Agency that has exhibited unprecedented leadership within the mobile marketing industry in APAC Smarties only to help drive its growth and best practices, and/or this award will be selected by our esteemed panel of judges/board members of MMA Asia Pacific from the winners of each of the award categories. Key: The winner is based on tabulation of points for their wins across the categories.|
Smarties awards are presented as follows:
Category Award Winners – Gold, Silver, Bronze
Best In Show – Winner is selected from the gold winners of each category
Industry Awards – The best-of-the-best in the mobile marketing industry. Winners will have a direct impact in the growth of the industry and are chosen by MMA Board Members
- Strategy (20%): Please provide an explanation of why you believe your entry satisfies the criteria for the category entered. Judges look for information and understanding of the business and/or marketing challenge along with a solid mobile strategy. Please ensure your submission references research, creativity, demographic targets, technologies leveraged as well as other strategic considerations for the campaign.
Consider these questions:
- What was your strategic objective? (Increased market share, brand awareness, time engaged with the brand, sales, leads)
- Who was your intended target audience?
- What was your creative and media strategy?
- Context – is the first year of campaign? If not how has your strategy adapted to previous results and new technology?
- Execution (20%): Please provide an explanation of how the campaign was implemented and its level of success.
Consider these questions:
- How did the execution or enabling technology help achieve results?
- How was the mobile component or enabling technology integrated into the overall marketing strategy?
- How creative or sophisticated was the campaign in its use of mobile media?
- What did the mobile channel or enabling technology bring to the overall campaign that other marketing channels missed?
- How was the mobile channel or enabling technology matched to specific markets, demographics relevant to the overall campaign execution?
- What percent of the campaign budget went to mobile?
- How well was mobile technology leveraged?
- Was the campaign compliant with MMA guidelines and best practices? And, what impact did the campaign have on the market?
- Creativity (20%): Criteria such as consumer engagement, unique use of mobile media types, creativity dynamics and integration with overall campaign will be considered. Samples of marketing materials and case studies should be provided and must be received at the time of submission to be considered with the application. We strongly encourage submitting video please note, it must be hosted by a third party. Please make it as easy as possible for judges to experience the creative as originally intended.
Creative Samples Guidelines:
- Active URL to landing page or FTP site with links to each creative element of the campaign; or multiple active URLs (separate each URL with a comma). If providing links, please make sure sites are live. Broken links are grounds for disqualification.
- Login information – if applicable
- User name
- Additional instructions (for example, “click on the XYZ campaign tab”)
- Not required but strongly recommended: A short (2-3 minute) case study video, or brief written case (2 pages maximum) study that captures the creative and actual interactive experience.
- Youtube (embedded video or direct link) or video provided by vimeo, Brightcove, or other embedded means.
- Flash video (embedded within a creative URL)
- Quicktime (.mov or m4v)
- Business Impact (40%): Each submission must include qualitative and quantitative data to support claims of success.
Consider these questions:
- Did the campaign achieve its objectives and goals?
- What impact did the campaign have on the market, if any?
- How innovative was the campaign?
- What impact did the campaign or enabling technology have on future utilization of mobile in their business?
- How did consumers receive the campaign? Note: information entered here will be kept confidential to MMA staff and judges and will not be shared publicly unless express consent is received from the key point of contact for this submission.
- Calculate a figure for return on investment (based on sales, profit, etc.).
You cannot upload video directly to the submission form. Creative samples must be accessible via URL or they cannot be viewed or scored by the judges.
New Judging Criteria
Due to its exploratory nature, the following categories will have less weight on results than the others - that doesn’t mean though that you shouldn’t include the impact to your current business or potential shifts it will create for your future marketing efforts.
- Innovation: For this category, innovation in mobile marketing can come from two different
places: Groundbreaking/new technologies or an unconventional/creative use of existing
- The Internet of Things: composed of any technology, device or wearable that sends and
receives data via the mobile driven internet.
(1) Products in Market - for this category, we are looking for products that are out in the market right now. To increase your chances to win a Smarties, please submit the actual product.
(2) Products in Prototype/Incubator Stage - for this category, we are looking for products that exist as a prototype or are in an incubator stage. To increase your chances to win a Smarties, please submit the actual prototype or illustrate very clearly its design and functionality.