The Weather Channel is seeking a highly qualified, Director-level attorney to structure, negotiate and draft content licensing, digital advertising, and software distribution agreements in support of the Business Development department. Reporting to the Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, the position will work closely with business development associates to realize new business goals and strategies and manage legal matters related to existing content-based products and services in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. The successful candidate will enjoy counseling business partners directly, and will welcome having primary responsibility for agreements and the opportunity to make a direct impact on the success of the Business Development function.
This position requires strong drafting skills and demonstrable experience with intellectual property, technology, and content & data licensing matters. In addition, experience with online and mobile advertising (including programmatic buying and ad networks) and software/application distribution (including mobile applications) is strongly preferred, as a significant portion of transactions will involve these areas. A strong understanding and knowledge of the Internet and mobile space is a must. Some knowledge of privacy law would also be an asset.
- Review, draft and negotiate complex content licensing, software/application distribution and digital advertising agreements in support of the Business Development department.
- Provide high quality oral and written legal advice in a cost-effective manner to internal clients with minimal supervision.
- Recommend practical courses of action to achieve department and company goals.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant areas of law and provide proactive advice regarding the implications of new laws impacting the company.
- Handle a variety of agreements and matters of a general nature for various departments within the company.
- Direct and review the work of paralegals as assigned.
- On occasion, prepare and conduct training sessions for internal clients.
- 5 years business and legal affairs experience at a company and/or a major law firm.
- JD degree from an accredited law school required.
- Admitted to GA Bar or eligible to obtain admission as In-House Counsel.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written skills, including excellent contract drafting skills.
- Significant experience with intellectual property, technology, and content & data licensing matters.
- Strong leadership skills, confident in leading others and making difficult decisions.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills for problem solving and comfortable working with multiple priorities in a deadline driven industry. Proven ability to make decisions regarding complex legal issues.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills with ability to inspire trust and confidence with key stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong individual confidence.